Friday, May 7, 2010

The next step...check!

So I finally have my surgery date, June 28th. This will be the beginning of a new life for me. Of course I need to get serious about preparing myself. Trying to actually lose some weight beforehand is essential. Not that physically I'm huge. Don't get me wrong I'm sitting at a 41 or 42 BMI and carrying plenty of extra "junk in the trunk". But unlike many people sitting at 255+ I still have a waist and hips, just not nearly as defined as they were 20 years ago. As I put on weight over the years I put it on all over, not just around the middle or in the hips and thighs like some do. Of course after the 3rd baby I am carrying more right around the mid-section.

You see I was dealing with a work related injury when I was last pregnant. Pregnancy and I have always been interesting. I actually would lose weight when pregnant without trying! I would eat and eat and eat just to maintain my current weight. Then I would always be smaller when I left the hospital after their birth. After my second I was under 200 the day I went home! Of course as soon as my nurlings started adding solid food to their diet I gained every ounce plus back. Well with my son, my youngest, I couldn't exercise the way I used to to get my abdominal muscles back in shape. Bad back and ankle. :( So I never lost the extra around the middle that I did with my girls. I got pregnant at 248 and gave birth at 252 and came home from the hospital at 248. Then promptly, when he started solids, packed on another 29 lbs!

Well, now I have a new "due date", the date of my surgery to look forward to and dread all at the same time. I've been reading about the experiences of others on blogs, message boards and watching videos on YouTube. Most are very inspirational, but some scare me too. The idea of being in so much pain right after surgery does not appeal to me. But I know this is not the "easy" way out. I've struggled with my weight my whole adult life. The emotional pain is far worse than a few weeks or months of physical pain in my opinion. Now ask me this again in a few months. LOL The answer might be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment